Friday, May 15, 2015

Pea Funk


I feel in love with this drink from the moment I saw its name!  When I saw it on the menu at Barrel and Ashes, I knew I had to have it and then make my own version.  This drink is unique, really refreshing and you can totally taste the snap peas!  Sit at the bar if you make it to Barrel and Ashes, it is transfixing to watch them make drinks!


I made an ingredient tweak on the drink for availability; you can try my version or sub back in the Oro Blanco if you have them available to you.  For those of you who do not know what Oro Blancos are (because I did not); it is a citrus fruit, similar to a grapefruit.  There, now you know!

Now, let's learn about Pisco; most of the time you see this used it is for Pisco Sours.  But I had never really given much thought to what it actually is.  Pisco is actually a brandy that is made in Peru and Chile regions; if you have a choice between one from Peru and one from Chile, go with the Peru one.

Alright, now that we know what is in our drink; let's get shaking, cocktail shaking that is!

Wanderer's Shopping List
20oz Snap Peas (this will give you enough for about 4-6 drinks)

This is all listed per drink
1oz Lime Juice
1oz Pisco or you can sub in tequila if you have a hard time finding Pisco
1oz Grapefruit Juice

1oz Simple Syrup (1 part Sugar to 1 part Water - i know; crazy sweet)
Soda

Make your simple syrup (if you don't already have some on hand; you can make a batch of this and store in the fridge in a sealed bottle for about 6 months).  Combine sugar and water in pot on medium heat until sugar dissolves.  Set aside and let cool. 

Remove peas from pod, add 4tbsp water and blend until pureed. Mixture should be thick but pourable; add water to reach this consistency. 

Combine 2oz pea mixture with lime juice, pisco or tequila, grapefruit juice and simple syrup over ice in cocktail shaker and shake until chilled.  Pour over ice in glass and top with soda.  Garnish with snap pea. 




Now get down to that pea funk while enjoying your drink!  Cheers!

1 comment:

  1. I had no idea what Oro Bianco was - learn something new every day! These were so delicious though, I think I like your version better!

    ReplyDelete